How to Play Video or Audio from UPnP/DLNA Server on VLC
VLC can be used as UPnP/DLNA client or player to play the video or audio content of any UPnP/DLNA server on the network. In this post, we will be discussing how to play DLNA content using VLC in details.
Play DLNA video or audio on VLC
Start VLC on your computer, start Universal Plug'n Play option.
Before the VLC 2.x version, select Tools > Preferences > All > Playlist > Services and Discovery and then start Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
After the VLC 2.x update, directly go to the step: View > Playlist > Local Network > Universal Plug'n Play (UPnP).
VLC Media Player would not attempt to locate all the UPnP/DLNA servers available on your network and display them. After you click on your server, a dropdown arrow should appear to the left hand side of the server (this may take some time. You can now go through the list of content folders on the server.)
Right click on the file you would like to play on VLC and select Add to playlist. This is an excellent choice for audio files. For video files however, you should right click and select the option of Play to view it right away.
Note: VLC may take a lot of time (say 5-10 minutes) to display the dropdown arrow beside the server name since it attempts to pull the entire folder list from the server. This problem is known to the developers of VLC.
Now you have get the method to connect VLC with your UPnP/DLNA Server, you can watch the video and audio from DLNA certified devices smoothly.
If you have large number of Blu-ray disc and DVD discs, or you have record many clips about best memories, why not transfer them to DLNA certified devices and watch them on VLC anytime as you like?
Even thought, VLC plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols, you'd better rip the movies from Blu-ray and DVD disc and transcode the video files you recorded to common H.264 MP4 format, you will get the best experiences if you really do it.
| Video Ultimate Windows
iMedia for Mac
• Quickly convert virtually any video/DVD/Blu-ray files to all popular video/audio formats.
• Convert video and DVD/Blu-ray to video files with optimized settings to fit your target device.
• With a built-in editor, you can easily personalize your DVD/Blu-ray and video to get the very part and effect you want.
• Enable to convert video/DVD/Blu-ray files to NLEs native supported format for further editing.
• Back up your DVD or Blu-ray in Full Disc, copy Main Movie only, or choose your wanted chapter to back up.
• Convert both 2D Blu-ray/DVD to 3D MKV, 3D MP4, 3D, MOV, 3D WMV and 3D AVI.
• You could create 3D movies out of source 3D Blu-ray content in 5 different 3D video formats.
|Do it all:
Convert, Edit Video and Rip, Backup Blu-ray and DVD movies, 250+ formats, Ultra-Fast encoding speed, ZERO quality loss!
VLC does not see UPnP devices
This is a common issue and the only way is to switch to VLC 2.08 or higher version where it works fine without giving any more issues.
VLC crashes when connecting to MiniDLNA server
Again, this has to do with the latest VLC updates. To avoid crashing while connecting to MiniDLNA server, many have found switching to VLC 2.08 or higher version.